Monday 25 December 2017

DAY TWELVE - ESSAYS (ENGLISH GUESS PAPER FOR CLASS 10)

Essay No. 7

My Hobby

A hobby a day keeps the doldrums away. 
(Phyllis McGinley)

     Life without a hobby is like food without salt. A hobby is a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time. Different people have different hobbies. Some people like cooking, reading or singing while the others like dancing, playing or painting etc. However, my hobby is gardening because I love Nature.
     At the back of my house, there is a small plot of land. I have planted a flower garden there. The plants include Euphorbia, Buttercup, Primrose, Jasmine, Lily, Marigold, Magnolia, Rose and Sunflower etc. Some of the plants are seasonal while the others are perennial.
     I work hard in my garden. I water the plants daily. I till the soil regularly. I trim the plants timely. I sow the seeds seasonally. I manure the soil routinely. I clear the weeds promptly. I mow the grass every Sunday. Thus I play the role of a mother for my garden.
     Gardening imparts a good effect on my body. When a bud grows into a flower, it fills my heart with pleasure. The greenery of plants and the colours of flowers are a feast for my eyes. The hues and fragrance of flowers are a tonic for my mind. The cool and fresh air is a blessing for my lungs.
     My hobby takes me away from the world of worries, tensions and pollution. I never feel lonely or sad in the company of plants. My hobby inspires my imagination and reveals to me the glory of Allah Almighty. In short, my hobby keeps me physically fit, mentally fresh and psychologically balanced.

Essay No. 8

Village Life

God made the country, and man made the town. 
(William Cowper)

     A village is a clustered human community, with a population ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand. Homes are situated together for sociability and defence, and the land surrounding the living quarters is farmed. Natural beauty, purity, unity, hospitality, poverty, illiteracy, superstitions and lack of modern facilities are the hallmarks of village life.
     There are many benefits of village life. Villagers eat fresh vegetables, fruits and eggs. They drink pure milk. They wear simple dresses. Moreover, the quiet and peace of village life give opportunity for thought, study and mental development.
     However, there is no special fun for villagers. Gossip, marriage ceremonies and fairs are the only amusements for them. They gossip to express their pent-up emotions. At weddings, they get a chance to dance, sing, wear and eat according to their customs. Fairs provide villagers a welcome relief.
     There are many disadvantages of village life. Villages lack good roads, schools, hospitals, factories and amusement parks. The villagers are mostly poor, illiterate and superstitious. There are less opportunities of employment in villages.
     There are evidently some downsides of village life, but it is better than city life. It is an ideal life if education and modern facilities are provided to villages. Villages are the cradle of human civilization and humans can get tranquility, self-satisfaction and spiritual exultation only in villages. 

Essay No. 9

Sports and Games

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. 
(Proverb)

     Sports and games have been around us since centuries. They are no less important than food and fresh water. Sports are usually physical activities while games involve mental exertion. They provide physical fitness, mental health and entertainment. They teach us the lesson of discipline, teamwork, patience, punctuality and obedience. 
     The history of sports and games extends as far back as the beginnings of military training. Artifacts suggest sports in China as early as 2000 BC. Monuments of Pharaohs indicate the presence of sports in  Egypt. However, these were the Greeks who introduced Olympic Games officially.
     There are two major types of sports and games; outdoor and indoor. Outdoor sports such as football, cricket and hockey are famous and popular all over the world. Indoor games such as chess, boxing, squash and snooker are also renowned and have significant participant and fan base.
     Sports and games keep our bodies healthy, fit and robust. Sports require the participant to undertake quick movement of limbs. This stimulates the participant's blood circulation, hence it makes the body to become stronger, sturdier and healthier.
     Sports and games also have a sense of psychological and emotional bearing on participants. When one wins, it emboldens the participant and creates a sense of pride to the winner. The loser, however, learns to accept defeat, and is encouraged to train harder and aim for a victory next time.

1 comment: