Tuesday 22 August 2017

5. DIRECT AND INDIRECT NARRATION


QUESTION NO. 1 (Assertive Sentences)
1. Change the following sentences into the indirect form of narration.
(i) She says, "I hope I am not late."
Indirect Speech: She says that she hopes she is not late.
(ii) She says, "We have shifted to another house."
Indirect Speech: She says that they have shifted to another house.
(iii) He says, "She has written me a very encouraging letter."
Indirect Speech: He says that she has written him a very encouraging letter.
(iv) They say, "We have done our duty."
Indirect Speech: They say that they have done their duty.
(v) She says, "We love and respect our neighbours very much."
Indirect Speech: She says that they love and respect their neighbours very much.
(vi) He says, "I have not heard the latest news about her."
Indirect Speech: He says that he has not heard the latest news about her.
(vii) The doctor says, "The patient is still in a state of coma."
Indirect Speech: The doctor says that the patient is still in a state of coma.
(viii) The teacher says, "She has always been a good student."
Indirect Speech: The teacher says that she has always been a good student.
(ix) They say, "Our teacher is on leave today."
Indirect Speech: They say that their teacher is on leave today.
(x) He says, "I want to speak to you."
Indirect Speech: He says to me that he wants to speak to me.
(xi) You will say, "She is cranky."
Indirect Speech: You will say that she is cranky.
(xii) The teacher will say, "You have done your work very well."
Indirect Speech: The teacher will say to us that we have done our work very well.
(xiii) She will say, "He did not come up to my expectations."
Indirect Speech: She will say that he did not come to her expectations.
(xiv) You have said, "They are waiting outside."
Indirect Speech: You have said that they are waiting outside.
(xv) She has said, "She is ready to accompany us to Karachi."
Indirect Speech: She has said that she is ready to accompany them to Karachi.
2. Change the following sentences into the indirect form of narration.
(i) He said, "I am not a thief."
Indirect Speech: He said that he was not a thief.
(ii) She said, "I am working hard."
Indirect Speech: She said that she was working hard.
(iii) He said, "I am unwell."
Indirect Speech: He said that he was unwell.
(iv) She said, "I am helping my mother in the kitchen."
Indirect Speech: She said that she was helping her mother in the kitchen.
(v) He said, "I am watering the plants in the garden."
Indirect Speech: He said that he was watering the plants in the garden.
(vi) Afshan said, "I am sewing mother's shirt."
Indirect Speech: Afshan said that she was sewing mother's shirt.
(vii) She said, "I am going to college."
Indirect Speech: She said that she was going to college.
(viii) They said, "Our teacher is on leave."
Indirect Speech: They said that their teacher was on leave.
(ix) She said to me, "You are a lazy boy."
Indirect Speech: She said to me that I was a lazy boy.
(x) He said, "They are not doing their duty well."
Indirect Speech: He said that they were not doing their duty well.
(xi) He said to me, "You are not running very fast."
Indirect Speech: He said to me that I was not running very fast.
(xii) He said to me, "I was writing a letter."
Indirect Speech: He said to me that he had been writing a letter.
(xiii) He said, "I have returned the books."
Indirect Speech: He said that he had returned the books.
(xiv) The teacher said to Mueen, "I have taught you and your sister."
Indirect Speech: The teacher said to Mueen that he had taught him and his sister.
(xv) They said, "We have done our duty."
Indirect Speech: They said that they had done their duty.

QUESTION NO. 2 (Assertive Sentences)
1. Change the following sentences into the indirect form of narration.
(i) The teacher said to us, "You have not completed your drawing."
Indirect Speech: The teacher said to us that we had not completed our drawing.
(ii) She said, "They have not eaten their meals."
Indirect Speech: She said that they had not eaten their meals.
(iii) The teacher said, "I have often told you not to play with fire."
Indirect Speech: The teacher said to me that he had often told me not to play with fire.
(iv) My brother said to me, "You have missed the point completely."
Indirect Speech: My brother said to me that I had missed the point completely.
(v) She said, "She will go there."
Indirect Speech: She said that she would go there.
(vi) Afshan said, "They will wait for us for one hour only."
Indirect Speech: Afshan said that they would wait for them for one hour only.
(vii) She said, "I shall never do such a thing."
Indirect Speech: She said that she would never do such a thing.
(viii) They said, "We shall never make a promise we cannot fulfill."
Indirect Speech: They said that they would never make a promise they could not fulfill.
(ix) She said, "I like the clouds in the sky."
Indirect Speech: She said that she liked the clouds in the sky.
(x) Arif and Ayesha said to their mother, "We like mangoes."
Indirect Speech: Arif and Ayesha said to their mother that they liked mangoes.
(xi) He said, "I always wake up early in the morning."
Indirect Speech: He said that he always woke up early in the morning.
(xii) She said, "I do not agree with you."
Indirect Speech: She said to me that she did not agree with me.
(xiii) He said to the stranger, "I do not recognize you."
Indirect Speech: He said to the stranger that he did not recognize him.
(xiv) She said, "The patient died in the hospital."
Indirect Speech: She said that the patient had died in the hospital.
(xv) She said, "He rang me up at twelve midnight."
Indirect Speech: She said that he had rung her up at twelve midnight.
2. Change the following sentences into the indirect form of narration.
(i) She said, "I am doing my home task now."
Indirect Speech: She said that she was doing her home task then.
(ii) He said, "I shall explain this to you only if you listen to me with patience."
Indirect Speech: He said to me that he would explain that to me only if I listened to him with patience. 
(iii) He said to her, "I live in this building."
Indirect Speech: He said to her that he lived in that building. 
(iv) He said, "I like this song."
Indirect Speech: He said that he liked that song. 
(v) He said, "I hope you will not repeat this mistake."
Indirect Speech: He said to me that he hoped I would not repeat that mistake. 
(vi) He said, "I completed my drawing half an hour ago."
Indirect Speech: He said that he had completed his drawing half an hour before. 
(vii) He said, "The rain fell last night."
Indirect Speech: He said that the rain had fallen the previous night. 
(viii) He said, "She sang a beautiful ghazal at the concert last night."
Indirect Speech: He said that she had sung a beautiful ghazal at the concert the previous night. 
(ix) She said, "I did not go to school yesterday."
Indirect Speech: She said that she had not gone to school the previous day. 
(x) He said, "The boys did not put up a good show last night."
Indirect Speech: He said that the boys had not put up a good show the previous night. 
(xi) My father said to me, "Honesty is the best policy."
Indirect Speech: My father said to me that honesty is the best policy. 
(xii) The teacher said to us, "God helps those who help themselves."
Indirect Speech: The teacher said to us that God helps those who help themselves. 
(xiii) He said, "Two and two make four."
Indirect Speech: He said that two and two make four. 
(xiv) The teacher said to us, "The earth revolves around the sun."
Indirect Speech: The teacher said to us that the earth revolves around the sun. 
(xv) The teacher said to us, "A black sheep spoils the whole flock."
Indirect Speech: The teacher said to us that a black sheep spoils the whole flock. 

QUESTION NO. 3 (Interrogative Sentences)
1. Change the following sentences into the indirect form of narration.
(i) She said, "Is this your book?"
Indirect Speech: She asked me whether that was my book.
(ii) She said, "Are you going to Lahore today?"
Indirect Speech: She asked me whether I was going to Lahore that day. 
(iii) He said, "Aren't you ashamed of yourself?"
Indirect Speech: He asked me whether I was not ashamed of myself.
(iv) They said, "Have you ever visited Murree Hills?
Indirect Speech: They asked me whether I had ever visited Murree Hills.
(v) The judge said, "Have you anything more to say?"
Indirect Speech: The judge asked him whether he had anything more to say.
(vi) He said, "Do you have any share in this firm?"
Indirect Speech: He asked me whether I had any share in that firm.
(vii) Adnan said, "Had you left Karachi before writing this letter?"
Indirect Speech: Adnan asked me whether I had left Karachi before writing that letter.
(viii) He said, "Will you listen to me?"
Indirect Speech: He asked me whether I would listen to him. 
(ix) Rehana said, "Will you stop interfering my work?"
Indirect Speech: Rehana asked me whether I would stop interfering her work.
(x) The mother said, "Shall we invite Qureshis also?"
Indirect Speech: The mother asked whether they should invite Qureshis also.
(xi) He said to me, "Do you like music?"
Indirect Speech: He asked me whether I liked music.
(xii) He said, "Do you agree with me?"
Indirect Speech: He asked me whether I agreed with him. 
(xiii) I said to him, "Do you take exercise daily?"
Indirect Speech: I asked him whether he took exercise daily. 
(xiv) The teacher said, "Did you do your home task yesterday?"
Indirect Speech: The teacher asked me whether I had done my home task the previous day.
(xv) The mother said, "Didn't I ask you not to go there?"
Indirect Speech: The mother asked me whether she had not asked me not to go there. 
2. Change the following sentences into the indirect form of narration.
(i) He said to me, "What are you looking for?"
Indirect Speech: He asked me what I was looking for. 
(ii) He said, "What do you want me to do?"
Indirect Speech: He asked me what I wanted him to do. 
(iii) The boy said, "What do you want me to do?"
Indirect Speech: The boy asked me what I wanted him to do. 
(iv) She said, "Where do you live?"
Indirect Speech: She asked me where I lived. 
(v) Raza said, "Where are you going?"
Indirect Speech: Raza asked me where I was going. 
(vi) The pupil said, "Where have I eased?"
Indirect Speech: The pupil asked where he had eased.
(vii) The mother said, "How did you fair in your examination?"
Indirect Speech: The mother asked me how I had faired in my examination.
(viii) The manager said, "How do you propose to solve this problem?"
Indirect Speech: The manager asked me how I proposed to solve that problem.
(ix) He said, "How many chapters have you done already?"
Indirect Speech: He asked me how many chapters I had done by that time. 
(x) She said to him, "Why did you come late?"
Indirect Speech: She asked him why he had come late. 
(xi) He said, "When will you come?"
Indirect Speech:  He asked me when I would come.
(xii) The teacher said, "Who is the author of this book?"
Indirect Speech: The teacher asked who the author of that book was.
(xiii) The teacher said, "Who is next on list?"
Indirect Speech: The teacher asked who next on list was.
(xiv) The teacher said, "Whose is this book?"
Indirect Speech: The teacher asked whose that book was.
(xv) The stranger said, "Which is the way to Shalimar Gardens?"
Indirect Speech: The stranger asked which the way to Shalimar Gardens was.

QUESTION NO. 4 (Imperative Sentences)
1. Change the following sentences into the indirect form of narration.
(i) The referee said, "Quiet, please."
Indirect Speech: The referee requested the spectators to be quiet. 
(ii) He said to his sister, "Please say something."
Indirect Speech: He requested his sister to say something. 
(iii) She said to me, "Please lend me your camera for a day."
Indirect Speech: She requested me to lend her my camera for a day. 
(iv) He said to his friend, "Please lend me your bike for a day."
Indirect Speech: He requested his friend to lend him his bike for a day. 
(v) Ali said to me, "Please lend me your pen."
Indirect Speech: Ali requested me to lend him my pen. 
(vi) She said to her friends, "Please have dinner with me tomorrow at eight."
Indirect Speech: She requested her friends to have dinner with her the next day at eight. 
(vii) Farhan said to his uncle, "Please help me in getting some job."
Indirect Speech: Farhan requested his uncle to help him in getting some job.
(viii) He said to me, "Please help me."
Indirect Speech: He requested me to help him. 
(ix) He said to her, "Please fetch me a glass of water."
Indirect Speech: He requested her to fetch him a glass of water.
(x) She said to her neighbour, "Please take care of my son."
Indirect Speech: She requested her neighbour to take care of her son. 
(xi) The mother said to her daughter, "Please tidy up your room."
Indirect Speech: The mother advised her daughter to tidy up her room.
(xii) The master said to the servant, "Go and fetch me a glass of milk."
Indirect Speech: The master ordered the servant to go and fetch him a glass of milk.
(xiii) The judge said, "Call the next witness."
Indirect Speech: The judge ordered to call the next witness.
(xiv) The officer said to the clerk, "Do it immediately."
Indirect Speech: The officer ordered the clerk to do it immediately. 
(xv) The teacher said to the boys, "Leave the room at once."
Indirect Speech: The teacher ordered the bosy to leave the room at once. 
2. Change the following sentences into the indirect form of narration.
(i) She said to me, "Tell the truth."
Indirect Speech: She advised me to tell the truth.
(ii) The doctor said to the patient, "Take complete rest and follow my direction."
Indirect Speech: The doctor advised the patient to take complete rest and follow his direction.
(iii) The father said to his son, "Get up early in the morning and go for a walk."
Indirect Speech: The father advised his son to get up early in the morning and go for a walk. 
(iv) The teacher said to the students, "Work hard."
Indirect Speech: The teacher advised the students to work hard.
(v) The father said to his son, "Work hard lest you should fail."
Indirect Speech: The father advised his son to work hard lest he should fail. 
(vi) The teacher said to the pupil, "Read the paragraph and explain it in simple English."
Indirect Speech: The teacher advised the pupil to read the paragraph and explain it in simple English.
(vii) The teacher said, "Do not make a noise."
Indirect Speech: The teacher forbade to make a noise.
(viii) They said to me, "Do not tell a lie."
Indirect Speech: They forbade me to tell a lie.
(ix) She said to me, "Do not waste your time in idle talk."
Indirect Speech: She forbade me to waste my time in idle talk. 
(x) The father said to his son, "Do not leave this room without my permission."
Indirect Speech: The father forbade his son to leave that room without his permission. 
(xi) Roshana said, "Let us finish our work first."
Indirect Speech: Roshana proposed that they should finish their work first. 
(xii) Afshan said, "Let us go for a picnic on Friday."
Indirect Speech: Afshan proposed that they should go for a picnic on Friday.
(xiii) She said to them, "Let us not deceive ourselves."
Indirect Speech: She proposed them that they should not deceive themselves. 
(xiv) He said to his wife, "Le us go for shopping."
Indirect Speech: He suggested his wife that they should go for shopping.
(xv) Farhat said, "Let us enjoy ourselves for an hour first."
Indirect Speech: Farhat proposed that they should enjoy themselves for an hour first. 
QUESTION NO. 5 (Exclamatory & Optative Sentences)
1. Change the following sentences into the indirect form of narration.
(i) He said, "Hurrah! We have won the match."
Indirect Speech: He exclaimed with joy that they had won the match. 
(ii) He said, "Hurrah! I have won the medal."
Indirect Speech: He exclaimed with joy that he had won the medal.
(iii) She said, "Hurrah! I have been selected for the job."
Indirect Speech: She exclaimed with joy that she had been selected to the job. 
(iv) He said, "Alas! I am ruined."
Indirect Speech: He exclaimed with sorrow that he was ruined.
(v) He said, "Alas! We cannot defeat our enemies."
Indirect Speech: He exclaimed with sorrow that they could not defeat their enemies. 
(vi) She said, "Alas! I failed in exams."
Indirect Speech: She exclaimed with sorrow that she had failed in exams.
(vii) He said, "Oh! It's a bad news."
Indirect Speech: He exclaimed with sorrow that it was a bad news. 
(viii) He said, "Oh no, I missed the train."
Indirect Speech: He exclaimed with sorrow that he had missed the train. 
(ix) The girls said, "What a beautiful sight!"
Indirect Speech: The girls exclaimed with wonder that it was a very beautiful sight. 
(x) He said, "What a beautiful piece of art!"
Indirect Speech: He explained with wonder that it was a very beautiful piece of art. 
(xi) He said, "What a wonderful painting is this!"
Indirect Speech: He exclaimed with wonder that that was a very wonderful painting. 
(xii) They said, "Wow! What a pleasant weather it is."
Indirect Speech: He exclaimed with wonder that it was a very pleasant weather. 
(xiii) She said, "What a pity you missed that function!"
Indirect Speech:  She exclaimed with sorrow that I had missed that function. 
(xiv) He said, "How well she sings!"
Indirect Speech: He explained with wonder that she sang very well. 
(xv) She said to her servant, "How foolish you are!"
Indirect Speech: She exclaimed with wonder that her servant was very foolish. 
2. Change the following sentences into the indirect form of narration.
(i) He said, "May Allah help me do my duty!"
Indirect Speech: He prayed that Allah might help him to do his duty. 
(ii) She said to her father, "May you live long!"
Indirect Speech: She prayed for her father that he might live long. 
(iii) She said, "May you prosper!"
Indirect Speech: She prayed that I might prosper. 
(iv) The mother said to her daughter, "May Allah bless you with a son!"
Indirect Speech: The mother prayed for her daughter that Allah might bless her with a son. 
(v) The mother said to her son, "May you return successful!"
Indirect Speech: The mother prayed for her son that he might return successful. 
(vi) He said to me, "May you succeed in your mission!"
Indirect Speech: He prayed for me that I might succeed in my mission. 
(vii) He said, "May you get through your exam with good marks!"
Indirect Speech: He prayed that I might get through my exam with good marks. 
(viii) He said to me, "May you find your lost camera!"
Indirect Speech: He prayed for me that I might find my lost camera.
(ix) She said, "May my son stand first in the class!"
Indirect Speech: She prayed that her son might stand first in the class. 
(x) Mr. Khan said, "May Allah save me!"
Indirect Speech: Mr. Khan said that Allah might save him. 
(xi) He said, "Would that I were rich!"
Indirect Speech: He wished that he had been rich.
(xii) She said, "Would that my father were alive!"
Indirect Speech: She wished that her father had been alive. 
(xiii) The old man said, "Would that I were young!"
Indirect Speech: The old man wished that he had been young. 
(xiv) He said, "Would that I were born in England!"
Indirect Speech: He wished that he had been born in England. 
(xv) I said to him, "Would that you were here on Sunday!"
Indirect Speech: I wished that he had been there on Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment